Pages

December 8, 2011

Short on Time, Try Tabatas

First off I have to just say, I Tabatas!!! What are they? Have you heard of HIIT, High Intensity Interval Training on any workout infomercials lately? I have, but I've never heard of Tabatas until last month. Tabatas area  very high intensity little rest interval routine founded in Japan by a man named Izumi Tabata.

It can be used for both strength and cardio, and can be easily customized. It's designed to give you the same metabolic energy burn as a 40-60min workout except this takes just 20min. No lie, I just finished my first 4rounds of Tabatas and I feel the same as yesterday when I ran 3.5miles Couch25k style.


Tabatas, Let's Break it Down:
 ~ Work hard for 20sec
~ Rest for 10sec
~ Repeat 8x
1 Tabata = 4min
If you're doing more than one Tabata rest for a minute in between and start over.
I thought 4 rounds = 1 Tabata so I ended up doing 4 Tabatas in 20min.


How it works. Tabata and his team tested 2 groups for 6 weeks, one high intensity (170%) and the other moderate intensity (70%). One hundred and seventy percent?! Yikes, that's very Intense. They found that the group that trained at 170% for 4min 4xWeek and the group that trained at 70% for one hour 5xWeek both had a significant increase in aerobic systems (cardiovascular). However the Tabata group (170%) showed gain in the anaerobic system (muscle).

Most of us getting into fitness know muscle is a very important way to burn calories. Your metabolism works for you when you use your muscles effectively. This baffles me that athletes who worked out for so long didn't increase muscle. Those athletes in group 1 would need to add toning and strength exercises to increase muscle on top of what they were already doing.

UPDATE: If done with the right Intensity Tabatas can continue to burn calories up to 36hrs later.

Plan it out! Today I really didn't have one. I just wanted to get it done. I started a running goal of 100 miles this winter December 1st with the intent to run 5x a week. Yeah, right! I don't know what I was thinking. I want to end this year hard and smart. Tabatas will be my go to on days I'm not running. They're fun, short, and effective. I ended up doing most of these once or twice and in no particular order. After researching Tabatas and HIIT style workouts you should stick with 1-2 exercises per Tabata.

Cardio OptionsStrength Options
Squats
Jumping Jacks
Reverse Lunges
High Knees
Scissor Jacks or Skiers

Jumping Jack Press
(like the jj except your arms go up like a press)
Wide Arm Pushups (reg)
Triceps Pushups
Pushups with One Arm Rows
Bicep Curls with Reverse Lunges
Squats with Dumbbell rows etc.

Form is Key! When moving your body you have to make sure you're moving it in the way it moves best. Especially with faster movement you must be sure your form is on point. In the videos I linked below you'll see everyone using near perfect form. I'm no expert but holding your abs in will train your abs to stay in. Right? For example, when you squat, you knees should never come over your shoe laces. This was always said to us in basketball practice, we were young then. Who was thinking about their knees? Now in my 30's I'm working on making a body that will last to see my great great grand children (that's happily ever after).


Free Online videos:
You'll need a timer. Here's a free online one. www.TabataTimer.com
High Calorie Holiday Burn from FitHealthyMoms
12 Fat Burning 4min Workouts in real time by GenghisGirl on Youtube

Tabatas are definitely the World's Fastest Workout...

Now Go Get Your Tabata On! Watch these videos for ideas then customize it for yourself. Hopefully I saved you a Google search because I think you'll get hooked pretty fast like I did. Have fun on your way to Happily Ever After!


Tabatas are not for those who have high blood preassure or have suffered heart attacks/strokes in the past. This high level of intensity is very taxing on the heart. 


Resources:
http://tabatatraining.org/?p=18
http://www.fithealthymoms.com/2011/04/11/tabata-workout/
http://legym.blogspot.com/2010/10/to-tabata-or-not-to-tabata-by-marie.html